LARGE INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLES
Wind auditions for the SU Wind Ensemble and SU Symphony Orchestra will take place the first day of classes, Monday, August 30 (it is a single audition for both ensembles). Required audition material for each instrument will be available on the Setnor web page by July 15. Audition sign-up sheets will be posted on the SU Bands board outside 400 Crouse College beginning Wednesday, August 25. For questions about wind auditions, please contact Dr. Bradley Ethington, Director of Bands (email@example.com). If you are a percussionist, please contact Professor Michael Bull (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange an audition. Auditions for these groups include required excerpts available below. The orchestra auditions for string players are a 2-3 octave scale of the student's choice, a 3-5 minute prepared solo or etude of the student’s choice, and prepared excerpts for your instrument.
- Wind Ensemble meets MWF 12:45–2:05 pm. Please contact Dr. Bradley P. Ethington (email@example.com) for more information. See the excerpts for your instrument to prepare below.
- Orchestra meets MWF 3:45 -5:05 p.m. Please contact Dr. James Tapia (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. The orchestra auditions for string players are a 2-3 octave scale of the student's choice, a 3-5 minute prepared solo or etude of the student’s choice, and prepared excerpts for your instrument, below:
Fall 2020 Excerpts:
BASSOON: Bassoon 2021
CLARINET: Clarinet 2021
EUPHONIUM: Euphonium 2021
FLUTE: Flute 2021
FRENCH HORN: French Horn 2021
OBOE: Oboe 2021
SAXOPHONE: Saxophone 2021
TRUMPET: Trumpet 2021
TROMBONE: Trombone 2021
TUBA: Tuba 2021
VIOLIN: Violin 2021
VIOLA: Viola 2021
CELLO: ‘Cello 2021
BASS: Bass 2021
Auditions for select choirs will be on Sunday, August 29 (1:00 - 6:00 p.m.), Monday, August 30 (9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.), and Tuesday, August 31 (9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) in room 302 of Crouse College. Setnor's select choirs include Hendricks Chapel Choir, Oratorio Society, and University Singers. Use the form below to schedule an audition date and time.
No preparation is necessary. The audition consists of vocalization (listening to your tone and determining your vocal range), tonal memory exercises, and sight-singing. There will also be time at the audition to answer any questions you may have about the different choirs we offer. For any questions, please email email@example.com.
- Hendricks Chapel Choir meets TH 7-9:15 pm
- Oratorio Society meets M 7-9:30 pm
- University Singers meets MWF 2:15-3:35 pm
- Crouse Chorale meets TTH 3:30-4:50 pm
- Setnor Sonority meets TTH 3:30-4:50 pm
Auditions for chamber ensembles, when needed, are arranged directly with the faculty member conducting the ensemble:
- Opera Workshop meets MWF 3:45 -5:05 pm. For more information, contact Professor Martha Sutter and Professor Janet Brown.
- SU’s Brazilian Ensemble, Samba Laranja, meets TTH 5-6:20 pm. For more information, contact Professor Josh Dekaney.
- Contemporary Music Ensemble meets in the fall semester, TTH 2-3:20 p.m. and is open to all music majors without audition. The ensemble divides into multiple mixed chamber groups to utilize all available players and singers, as well as a free improvisation ensemble. Non-music majors who wish to participate should contact Dr. Nic Scherzinger.
- Guitar Ensemble meets T 12:30-1:50 pm. For more information, contact Dr. Ken Meyer.
- Percussion Ensemble meets T 12:30-3:15 pm. Students should be able to play multiple percussion instruments and should contact Professor Michael Bull before registering and for more information.
- Saxophone Ensemble meets T 5-6:20 pm. For more information, contact Professor Anne Kunkle.
- String Chamber Music groups are scheduled at agreed upon times once the groups are formed. For more information on registering for this program, contact Professor Will Knuth.
- Baroque Ensemble meets in the spring semester, TTH 2:00-3:20 pm and is open to all music majors without audition. Non-music majors must audition. For all non-music majors who wish to participate in Baroque Ensemble, contact Professor Janet Brown.
Fall 2021 Ensemble auditions:
INSTRUMENTAL BIG BAND, JAZZ, FUNK, AND ROCK ENSEMBLES
Jazz and Commercial Music (JCM) instrumental ensemble auditions will take place on Monday, August 30 in Shaffer Art Building. JCM instrumental auditions will take place from 12:00-8:00pm. The Google Sheet sign-up document is available by clicking here.
• Trumpet, trombone, and saxophone auditions will be held from 12-6 pm in room 202C Shaffer Art Building, and will include a self-prepared jazz selection, jazz sight reading (provided), and improvisation over the blues in a key of your choice.
• Rhythm section auditions (piano, guitar, bass drum set) will be held from 6:30-8 pm in room 201 Shaffer and will include group performance demonstrating time keeping/improvisation over the blues/swing/Latin selections, and chart/sight reading. Questions: Please contact Dr. John Coggiola.
VOCAL JAZZ ENSEMBLES, FUNK AND ROCK ENSEMBLE VOCALISTS
Vocal Jazz Auditions: Auditions for vocal jazz ensembles, and vocal positions in The Morton Schiff Jazz Ensemble, Orange Juice Jazz Combo, Jazz/Funk Ensemble, and Citrus Punch (Rock Ensemble) will be held Sunday, August 29 and Monday, August 30 live on campus. The audition will include: melodic and rhythmic sight reading, performance of the blues, chromatic, and/or dorian scales, improvisation over a 12 bar blues and rhythm changes in (prepare 2 choruses), and a prepared performance of a jazz standard of your choice (med. swing) and a song of your choice and style. Please contact Professor Marianne Solivan with questions.
A complete list of JCM classes, ensembles, and lessons can be found here: